- 1 oz salt pork, rinsed off and diced
- 2 oz lean cured ham, rinsed off and diced
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 green pepper, seeded & chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 T Adobo
- ¼ t white vinegar
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 pimiento stuffed olives, sliced
- 2 t drained capers
- 2 T raisins
- 2 T (give or take) tomato sauce (the final mix should be somewhat dry)
In a caldero (heavy kettle with lid), rapidly brown the salt pork and ham over medium high heat.
Reduce heat to low and add the 2nd set of ingredients. Sauté for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the 3rd set of ingredients, mix and stir over high heat until the beef loses its red color. Turn heat to low,
add the last set of ingredients, mix and cover. Cook for 30 minutes.
Disclaimer: my mother has never written her recipes down, and measures out amounts with her favorite wooden spoon or her hand. I did the best I could with the measurements while watching her make this batch of filling several years ago.